Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Super Mom

Yesterday I cleaned the boys' room from top to bottom. I do not exaggerate when I say it was two feet deep in toys, stuffed animals, overturned toy bins, blankets, pillows, children's books, etc. With a little path to the bunk bed.

But no more. It is now perfectly tidy. A place for everything and everything in its place. It's as if Mary Poppins has come through, snapped her fingers, and trilled her merry tune, "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun, you find the fun and... *snap!* - the job's a game!"

For me, the fun was digging out my old John Denver cassette and warbling away while I cleaned. "I hear her voice, in the morning hour she calls me...the radio reminds me of my home far away...driving down the road I get a feelin' that I should've been home yesterday...yesterday!!"

I again claim no exaggeration when I say this cleaning project was an all-day job. I began to clean at 10:30 am and finished at 7:30 pm, in preparation, of course, for the new leaf we've turned over - the one where we pick up the toys every night.

In the evening, I was tired.

And cold.

So I bundled up. In my normal way. Being from Idaho, where the real weather is, I know how to bundle up. I put on my favorite red fuzzy socks, my favorite red thermal shirt, and my comfy grey leggings. I had my red cleaning bandana still on my head.

In this attire, I entered the living room to tell Jeff something, hands placed habitually in balled fists on hips, feet spread slightly apart.

Jeff looked up from the book he was reading and burst out laughing. He doubled over. He ran out of breath. He guffawed and knee-slapped. He cackled. Between gasps for air, he giggled, "You look like you're wearing a super hero costume! All dressed up to fight crime!"

Then in his charming mock sing-song voice, he bellowed, "It's SUPER MOM!" And adapting the Mighty Mouse theme song, he intoned, "Here I come... to clean your room!!!"

Laughing myself, and joining in the fun, I completed his phrase, "All I need... is Z Cat's voom..."

Well, my cozy clothes carried me through the night and into the morning in pajama-like manner. So as we each stumbled toward the coffee pot, Jeff smirked, "Hey, Super Mom." Such a mocker.

I frowned at him, "Just you wait. After I've had my coffee, I'm going to do all the laundry like THIS!" I waved my hands around in the air like a ninja moving in for the kill.

He laughed and laughed some more.

I finally looked in the mirror to see what he was so endlessly amused about.

I WILL NOT pose for an actual picture of my Super Mom uniform, but here's a tiny glimpse of my outfit pieces, to aid your imagination.