Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wisdom From Mom

My mom sent me this email this morning. It illustrates one of the things I love about her. She lives her faith.

At 9:15 MST this morning, I felt a light earthquake.

Now, I know that this is not a big deal in California, but in my area, it is much rarer. Apparently, it registered at 6.2 somewhere in Northern Nevada, and came right on up to visit us in Idaho.

I was sitting in my rocking chair with my feet on another chair, so I was not rocking. I was in the basement, which has a concrete floor. I heard light creaking in the walls at the south end of the room, felt my chair “wobble” from arm to arm, and then more creaking at the north end of the room. It was a little weird. I sat there all by myself and said, very quietly, “I think I just felt an earthquake.”

I called my husband right away to let him know, and to see if I was crazy. He called me back later and confirmed that someone at work had felt it too, and they were able to give more details.

Well, where I live, we don’t get hurricanes or even many strong winds. But that little tremor reminds me that God is all-powerful. And the place where I live is not my protector.

God is.

--Karolyn