Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Where Are We Going? (clap, clap clap)

James and Jonathan rented Undercover Dora. After watching it through a couple of times, they made it more interesting by watching it at 1.5 speed.

So instead of this:

If there's a place you gotta get
I can get you there I bet
I'm the map
I'm the map, I'm the map,
I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm the map
I'M THE MAP!

We heard this:

ifthere'saplaceyougottageticangetyouthereibeti'mthemap
i'mthemapi'mthemapi'mthemapi'mthemapi'mthemapi'mthemapI'MTHEMAP!

But yesterday, they discovered that Dora was presented in 3 languages. So last night they watched it through again, in Spanish. The Spanish version just swaps out all the words. If the English version had a Spanish word, in the Spanish version, they say that word in English.

So instead of this:

Say 'rapido'!

We heard:

Digan 'fast'!

The boys know I understand a little Spanish, so last night they made me the interpreter.

"Mom, you tell us what they're saying in English while they say it in Spanish."

Well, this is where years of Dora exposure came in handy. Shockingly, I miraculously knew the English words to all the Spanish songs.

"Adonde vamos?" ("Where are we going?")

clap, clap, clap

"La fiesta de Tico!" ("Tico's party!")

The rest I could get from my limited languaged skills plus the context:

"Ummmm...Diego says the bat told him to follow it and it would show them how to get out of the cave."

Just before James went to bed last night, he announced happily to the room at large, "Tomorrow, FRENCH!"

Well, he's still at school, so we still don't know what French Dora sounds like. In the meantime, Jonathan has become bored with simply watching Dora in Spanish. He is now watching Dora in Spanish on 1.5 speed.

So instead of hearing this:

Lo hicimos, lo hicimos, lo hicimos!
We did it! Lo hicimos!

I'm hearing this:

loyseemosloyseemosloyseemos!
wediditloyseemos!

So.

Where are we going?

(clap, clap, clap)

Off the deep end!

Where are we going?

(clap, clap, clap)

Out of our minds!

Where are we going?

(clap, clap, clap)

To the looney bin!

Where are we going?

(clap, clap, clap)

[unintelligible insane gibberish]