Monday, February 4, 2008

Tagged!

Shalene over at A Proverbs 31 Woman Wannabe tagged me with a meme. So fun! (To find out what a meme is, click here.) This is my first one EVER (yes, ever), and I'm ridiculously excited about it. :-) This meme asks me to tell you 6 quirky, random or inconsequential facts about myself.

The rules for this meme are: (1) Link to the person that tagged you. (2) Post the rules on your blog. (3) Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself. (4) Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs. (5) Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.

So. Onward!

1. I hate water. I don't know why. Washing my hands makes me feel totally out of control. Showering leaves me panicky and constricted. If a drop of water touches my cheek or my chin when I'm taking a drink, I can't breathe until it's gone. I religiously avoid any kind of activity which might possibly cause water to run down my hand toward my elbow. I have to talk myself into letting my hands get wet in order to load the dishwasher. Etc.

2. The gap between my two front teeth was caused by a childhood injury. When my two front baby teeth had left the building, I fell off my brother's bunk bed and landed on my mouth. I think if I'd had two front teeth, the impact would have knocked them out. Anyway, I split my gums open quite neatly down the exact center of my mouth, and when it was all said and done, my adult teeth had to grow in around scar tissue. And yes, I thought of this one because I was sitting here playing with the gap between my teeth while I tried to figure out something to write.

3. I am a radiation mutant. Long story. Ready? Mom grew up on the Columbia River during the days of the Hanford spill, and the three most common factors among those affected by the radiation of that era were: poisoned river water, poisoned cow's milk, and poisoned fish.

Well, Mom's dairy farm was ON the river. Literally. Part of the property was an island for part of the year. They irrigated the pastures with radation-poisoned river water, then the cows ate the radiation-poisoned grass, then they produced radiation-poisoned milk, which Mom drank in spades for 12 years. Additionally, Mom's house had a well, which, being only a few yards from the mighty Columbia, was bound to have radiation seepage into it. And lastly, while Mom's family didn't do much fishing, they allowed local fishermen to fish off their property for a small fee. Guess what the fishermen paid Mom's family with? Yep. Radiation-poisoned fish.

Therefore, Mom's poor little eggs were damaged, and five of her six babies have some sort of strange medical anomaly. My personal gift from the State of Washington is what's known as idiopathic congential hirsutism. That means I have a beard. I shave my face twice a day. And yes, there's a class-action lawsuit pending. It's been in litigation for about 25 years, so maybe by the time they're done deliberating, my great-grandchildren will be rich. But I think Jesus will come back before then. And wipe every tear from our eyes. And every unwanted hair from my face. :-)

4. When I'm happy, my toes wiggle of their own accord at lightning speed. My husband calls them my "happy feet".

5. I am a third generation employee at my current job. One of my responsibilities is to produce the monthly church newsletter. It's called the Lookout. My mom produced the Lookout on a mimeograph machine when I was a little girl, and my grandma produced the Lookout when she was the church secretary in the 60's.

6. During my last semester of college, I read through the entire Bible in 4 months. 11 chapters a day. That was before I had kids. Now that I have little munchkins vying for my attention, I read one section of one chapter a day. They're nicely broken up for me by Zondervan. They say things like "Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand" or "Jesus Walks on the Water" or "Jesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman". One story is about all I can concentrate on. But it's so meaty! Every verse of Scripture is God-breathed. Plus, I get to ruminate on completely awe-inspiring questions like, "Who is this, that even the wind and waves obey Him?"

Done! Yay! That was fun. Thanks, Shalene!

Okey-dokey. My "Tag! You're It!" goes to:

Kim at my little corner

Christina at Kwisteena's Kwaziness

my ice cream diary at My Ice Cream Diary

Melody at melody is slurping life

Michelley at Wait For It

Michelle at In the Life of a Child

To those of you I've tagged, if you don't do memes or you've just had surgery or you're recovering from the journey of a coin or this is the seventeenth time you've been tagged with this meme, I understand. But if you have a minute and you're so inclined, tag! You're it!