Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Still

Note: originally published January 16.

My worship band does a song, Matchless, on which the guitars Capo 2. The song is written in the key of B, but there's a capo right there, so why not use it?

But of course the keyboardists have to muddle along in 5 sharps. Well. I decided that wasn't fair. I wanted to play the easy guitar chords too! So I transposed my handy dandy keyboard up two half steps, happily hitting A chords and hearing B chords. (Which always just weirds me out a little.)

Well, this past Sunday, we hammered our way through Matchless and sang our hearts out and praised the Lord with all our might. It went well.

My little keyboard intro propelled us right into the next song, Still, and away we went. I was pretty excited to help introduce this new song to the congregation because it was quickly becoming one of my favorites.

The first verse is keyboard only, and the band joins lightly during the chorus. Then everybody plays full during verse 2.

Well, when we got to verse 2, something sounded decidedly wrong. I frowned and cocked my head to one side. It took me a second to put my finger on it...it sounded almost as if we were playing in...different keys...OH!!

My stomach dropped into my shoes as I realized I'd forgotten to reset my keyboard to play in the real key!! I stopped playing. Everyone else continued. But I glanced over at the guitarist and found him staring straight at me with the same little frown, looking quite perplexed and tentatively trying out chords. The poor man was simply working diligently to figure out what key I was playing in. It certainly wasn't the key written on our sheet music!

I thought to myself, Oh, I better transpose the keyboard back down so I'm in the same key as the band. So I did. And I was with the band.

What I didn't realize was that the vocals were still singing in the transposed key. So now the band was together, but the vocals were clashing fabulously and leading the entire congregation astray, as one voice (in the wrong key) encouraging souls to find rest in Christ alone.

For a few beats, I considered trying to guide the vocals into the right key, but that soon became an obvious impossibility as the not-so-glorious sound of one delightful tritone after another filled the room.

I stopped playing again. This time the rest of the band stopped too. Our worship leader turned around and looked at us in total confusion.

I threw my hands up in the air and said to the room at large, "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I transposed the keyboard up for Matchless and then I forgot to transpose it back down for this song. The band was trying to figure out what key I was in, and I was just charging right ahead!" Everyone laughed warmly.

Our guitarist burst out, "I wondered what happened! I thought, That's not how this song goes." More laughter.

Our worship leader said, "And the worst part is I didn't even have a clue anything was wrong!" Knee-slapping ensued.

"So now you'll get to hear what the song REALLY sounds like," our guitarist continued. Hoots and cheers.

I muttered into my microphone, "Oh, my soul needs to find rest in Christ alone right now..." The congregation doubled over with glee and issued forth a smattering of applause.

It took me a moment to get rid of my giggles as I introduced the song once more, this time in the proper key. You better believe I meant the first line of that song with all my heart: "Hide me, Lord, under Your wings..."

Or just let me sink into the stage, Abba. That would work too.

My boss, the worship pastor, called me later that night. "Hey, Becky...just wanted to call and make fun of you, basically." He'd been against the back wall of the room during the "event", and he said he laughed and laughed so hard that he completely distracted the entire back row and thought he'd have to leave the room to compose himself.

If only I could have left the room to compose myself...

But seriously. My church family is so loving and forgiving and good-natured that I didn't really feel all that embarrassed. It was just a funny, poignant moment we all shared.

The best part, though, was the specific song in question. There couldn't have been more immediate comfort. In the midst of it all, we sang together about God's presence surrounding tough moments, and the response His grace enables us to have if we are clinging to Him, if we have hidden ourselves under the shelter of His wing.

I know a musical blooper is inconsequential, but God's promise that held true for my small storm certainly holds true for my big storms.

And these lyrics apply to your storm as well.

Hide me now under Your wings
Cover me within Your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with You above the storm
Father, You are King over the flood
I will be still and know You are God

Find rest my soul in Christ alone
Know His power in quietness and trust

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with You above the storm
Father, You are King over the flood
I will be still and know You are God

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." Psalm 46:10-11