Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Relentless Grace

Note: originally published January 15.

This past weekend, my husband and I hopped over to the beach to celebrate our anniversary. On the way there, as Jeff drove us through your typical west coast drizzle, I soaked up the lyrics of my new David Crowder CD.

David Crowder has a song on his new album, Remedy, called "Rain Down". The lyrics are quite simple: "Rain down Your love on us, and rain down Your grace, and cover me."

As the song serenaded us down the coast road, I reflected. I love the idea of God's grace flowing like rain. I've always imagined it to be a soft rain, sort of misty, slightly dampening my face and leaving me feeling refreshed.

But during the musical climax of the song, the rain outside picked up all at once. What had been a sporadic mist became an actual wall of water. Even with our windshield wipers flapping about wildly on high speed, the car in front of us disappeared. It was as if we had suddenly plunked ourselves down in the path of a giant waterfall.

Enormous glopping drops of rain pelted the car at lightning speed as the stereo wailed, "Rain down Your love on us, and rain down Your grace, and cover me!" My eyes widened as I stared at the windshield and marveled at the overwhelming power of the relentless downpour.

And in that cacophony of sound and blurred visibility, I beheld a glimpse of God's work in my life. His love is not soft and misty, coming in short bursts and then leaving. Nor is His grace barely noticeable, only slightly dampening my life.

No, indeed.

God's love surges forth like a wall of water.

His grace bears down on me as if I am standing in a waterfall.

His love pelts me at lightning speed without letting up.

His grace pours down wrapped in overwhelming power.

It is relentless.

Relentless grace covers me. Relentless grace covers you.

John 1:16 "From the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another."