Friday, February 22, 2008

Ethereal Questions

"Can we please eat breakfast on the porch today?"

"Well, we could, but it's pretty cold out there."

"But...there's a table! We never get to eat outside."

"We will eat outside. We'll eat out there a lot when the weather warms up, but right now, it's winter."

"Curse on winter!"

"C.S. Lewis would agree with you."

"Will there be winter in heaven?"

"Ummm..."

Short, scientific, theological discussion between parents ensues, including earth's axis, the waters above the 'firmament' before the flood, what day the moon was created, etc. Followed by:

"Well, I sure hope not!"

"Whew! Good. I hate winter because we don't get to go outside as much. Hey, Mom, what's the greatest planet in the world?"

"You mean the biggest?"

"Noooooo, I mean the GREATest!"

"Earth!"

"Uh, Mom...is heaven one of the planets?"

"No, heaven is bigger than all of the planets."

"Noooooooooo, Mom, I mean is heaven ONE of the planets!"

"No, heaven is not one of the planets. Heaven is bigger than all of the planets put together."

"Is heaven the Milky Way?"

"Heaven is bigger than the Milky Way."

"Wow..."

Yes. Wow is right. For a moment, I entertained the thought of drawing the planets, in the Milky Way, surrounded by heaven, to give James an idea of how big God is. But what a paltry illustration of something far too vast to illustrate!

James's world is full of things too big for him to understand, so he accepts God's trascendence much more readily than I do. Whereas I, on the other hand, like to think I DO understand, basically, what's going on in my life. I've defined my understandings, boxed them up, and neatly labeled them with my trusty Sharpie. And I like to squish God into my definable box.

But God is limitless. Transcendent of space. Indescribable. Uncontainable.

Well, here. I'll let Chris Tomlin try to say it.

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creation's revealing Your majesty
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring
Every creature unique in the song that it sings
All exclaiming:

Indescribable
Uncontainable
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name
You are amazing God

All powerful
Untamable
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

Who has told every lightning bolt where it should go
Or seen heavenly storehouses laden with snow
Who imagined the sun and gives source to its light
Yet conceals it to bring us the coolness of night
None can fathom

Indescribable
Uncontainable
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name
You are amazing God

Incomparable
Unchangeable
You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same
You are amazing God