Friday, October 5, 2007

Cured

It's okay to talk about your babies anytime, anywhere. You can (and should) share about how excited you are that your little gem has finally learned to slobber-kiss you, and you're also basically free to express all your feelings about that latest diaper explosion.

But as your kids get older, you have to watch what you say about them. One of the nicest compliments you can give your kids is to praise them to others in their hearing. Conversely, one of the worst things you can do is discuss their flaws. And I'm not talking about outright complaining. Perish the thought. I'm talking about the stuff you don't even really think is that bad.

Examples:
"Jonathan came into my bedroom at 2 am and I couldn't get back to sleep!"
"Jonathan is a really picky eater."
"Jonathan forgot to wipe."

In the Frame house, we have been completely cured of such expressions very simply and succinctly. Whether he's in the same room or at the other end of the house, whenever anyone says Jonathan's name, he responds cheerfully and emphatically with a gleeful shout. "That's me!"

I am very glad to be reminded that he's listening.

"Oh, be careful little mouth what you say..."