Saturday, July 21, 2007

Joel Bits

What the locust swarm has left, the great locusts have eaten; what the great locusts have left, the young locusts have eaten; what the young locusts have left, other locusts have eaten. (1:4)

The Lord thunders at the head of His [locust] army; His forces are beyond number, and might are those who obey His command. (2:11a)

"Even now," declares the Lord, "return to Me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning." (2:12)

Then the Lord will be jealous for His land and take pity on His people.
The Lord will reply to them:

"I am sending you grain, new wine and oil, enough to satisfy you fully; never again will I make you an object of scorn to the nations. (2:18-19)

I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten...

...and you will praise the name of the Lord your God, who has worked wonders for you;

never again will My people be put to shame." (2:25a, 26b)

God's locust army is eating away all the things in my life that I have allowed to come between myself and Him. And I am SO not the type of person to give in easily. Surrender is not my strong suit, let me tell you. It's a painful wrenching away of things I hold dear, every single time. But God's relentless gentleness as He pries poisonous lies out of my closed fists is beyond my comprehension or my ability to describe.

His mercies are new every morning.

And His promises are true. He has begun to repay me for the years the locusts have eaten in my life. Blessed repayment beyond anything I could have imagined. I was brought face to face with this reality again last night, and I simultaneously grieved the loss of what was eaten away and sobbed tears of joy for the glorious replacement which is mine to keep.

God is SO good to me.

"The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love." Psalm 145:8