Monday, April 9, 2007

REJOICE WITH US!!!

On Thursday, April 5, 2007, James was born into God's family! :-) I told him the story of the Resurrection Eggs he brought home from school, and then we talked for a while about heaven, at which point his eyes filled with tears of longing. We discussed bad things we've done that keep us separated from God, and since God can only be around clean things, we need to be clean before we can be with God. And the only thing that can make us clean is the blood of Jesus that He shed when He died on the cross, and since Jesus conquered death, someday we will too.

I explained to James that if he prayed for Jesus to make him clean, then when he died he could go to heaven.

He said, "But how? How do I pray all that right before I die?"

I said, "You can pray it right now if you want to, and then for the rest of your life, God will be with you, inside you, helping you make good choices."

Eyes filling with hope, he quickly exclaimed, "Let's do that!"

And we did. We prayed, "Dear Jesus, I know I've done bad things and I can't go to heaven on my own. Please wash me clean with Your blood and help me to obey You for the rest of my life. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins and rising from the dead so I can go to heaven someday. In Jesus' name, Amen."

That night, James told his daddy the story of the Resurrection Eggs, and then he did a quiz to see how well we were listening. His quiz questions clearly showed his comprehension of his need of a Savior and his unquestioning acceptance of Christ's sacrifice on his behalf. A gift of confirmation from God to his mommy.

And there was great rejoicing in heaven! And in Hillsboro. :-)